Most people experience back pain at some point in their lives. Back pain can develop in many ways, and often becomes debilitating. It is important to seek treatment so your condition does not worsen or lead to other health complications. If you are experiencing back pain, chiropractic treatment is the best course of action you can take. At GENESIS Chiropractic Functional Health in Long Beach, CA, we can help. Our chiropractor, Dr. Jason Stoddard, provides a wide variety of natural treatment methods for back pain and other conditions. Our goal is to help you return to a healthy, pain-free life.
Causes of Back Pain
Your back contains nerves, ligaments, tendons, discs, muscles, and other tissues. If anything goes amiss with these structures, back pain is likely to develop. The following are some of the most common causes of back pain:
- Trauma: Sports, auto accidents, work activities, slips, and falls may cause injury to your back, triggering pain.
- Poor posture: Improper posture that puts unnecessary weight on the back increases the chances of back pain.
- Spinal stenosis: This is the narrowing of the vertebrae column, which puts pressure on the spinal nerves and causes pain.
- Osteoarthritis: This inflammatory disease causes the wearing out of the bone cartilage, causing joint pain and stiffness.
- Disc degeneration: Due to old age and other factors, vertebrae discs may wear out, causing back pain.
- Sciatica: A pinched nerve may lead to lower back pain that radiates to the legs through the buttocks.
How Our Chiropractor Treats Back Pain
If you are suffering from back pain, visit us as soon as possible. Dr. Stoddard will perform a physical exam to look for the cause of your pain. We will ask about your symptoms and medical history. After a physical exam, our chiropractor will formulate a customized treatment plan for you. This might include a combination of our techniques. All of our methods are non-invasive and drug-free. Some of the methods we may use include:
- Chiropractic adjustment: Realigning the spine and back will help the nervous system function better and alleviate pain. A properly aligned spine is vital for overall wellness.
- Electrical stimulation: This method uses electrodes to improve blood flow and reduce inflammation.
- Myofascial release therapy: This treatment relaxes tense back muscles, reducing pain.
- Post isometric relaxation: Our chiropractor may recommend exercises to reduce pain and strengthen your back.
Visit Our Chiropractor in Long Beach, CA for Back Pain Treatment
If you are experiencing back pain, you don’t have to continue suffering. We can help. At GENESIS Chiropractic Functional Health in Long Beach, CA, our chiropractor, Dr. Stoddard, will find the right treatment methods for you. We are happy to answer any questions you have. Call us today to schedule an appointment or to learn more.
Back Pain FAQs
What causes back pain?
There are several potential causes of back pain, including:
- Osteoarthritis: When the cartilage that cushions vertebrae bones thins or wears out, bones may rub against each other, causing pain and stiffness.
- Sciatica: When the sciatic nerve is pressed, pinched, or compressed, you may experience pain radiating from the lower back to one of the legs. The causes of sciatica include injury, obesity, and medical conditions that weaken your back structures.
- Herniated disc: Gradual wear and tear may cause degeneration of discs. As a result, the discs may lose shape, pinching a nearby nerve, resulting in pain, numbness, and tingling.
- Injury: Sports accidents, falls, slips, and car accidents may injure the structures in your back, causing pain and limited mobility.
- Scoliosis: The abnormal curvature of the spine may put pressure on the spinal structures, causing pain.
- Spinal stenosis: Narrowing the vertebrae column may compress the spinal structures, causing back pain.
If you have back pain that lasts for more than a few days, you had better seek chiropractic care before your condition worsens. The earlier you seek treatment, the better the chances of recovery.
What are the risk factors for back pain?
While everyone is at risk of back pain, some people are at more increased risk of back pain. Here are factors likely to trigger back pain:
- Age: The older you are, the higher the chances of back pain
- Pregnancy: Physical and physiological changes during pregnancy increase the chances of back pain
- Occupation: If you spend much of the time sitting or lifting weights, back pain is likely to crop up
- Obesity: Unhealthy weight puts undue pressure on the spine, triggering back pain
- Medical conditions: Conditions like arthritis, tumors, and spinal stenosis put you at risk of back pain.
How does a chiropractor treat back pain?
Spinal manipulation is usually the first treatment we use to treat back pain. This therapy aligns your back, triggering your body’s self-healing mechanism. As a result, you get relief on your back and your whole body. The other chiropractic treatments for back pain include:
- Stretching exercises
- Lifestyle advice
- Nutritional counseling
- Trigger point therapy
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor for Back Pain Treatment in Long Beach, CA
Are you battling back pain that won’t go away? It’s time to see a chiropractor. If you are in Long Beach CA, please book an appointment with GENESIS Chiropractic Functional Health for back pain treatment. Call us today at (562) 267-9119 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.
The neck, also called the cervical spine, begins at the base of the skull and contains seven small vertebrae. The cervical spine supports the full weight of your head which is on average about 12 pounds. While the cervical spine can move your head in nearly every direction, this flexibility makes the neck very susceptible to pain and injury.
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve of the human body, traveling from the lower back, down the leg, and into the foot. Injury to this nerve at any point along its path can lead to pain and other symptoms that can negatively impact daily life. Chiropractic care can help to relieve symptoms without strong drugs or invasive procedures. At Genesis Chiropractic Functional Health in Long Beach, we offer treatment for sciatica and can help prevent it from reoccurring.
Sciatica may exhibit diverse symptoms, such as lower back pain, a sharp pain on one side of the body when moving, pain that radiates into the hip or down the legs, numbness, tingling, and weakness on the affected side of the body. Pain can be intermittent or continuous. Patients may feel a sharp, electric shock when changing positions or a continually nagging discomfort in the affected area.
What Causes Sciatica?
Compression of the sciatic nerve can result from a number of problems. Natural aging can cause degeneration of structures in the lower spine, which can then compress the nerve. Traumatic injuries can also lead to sciatic nerve pain. The physical and hormonal changes involved in pregnancy can also result in sciatic nerve problems. Obesity can put increasing pressure on the sciatic nerve. Smoking can cause nerve damage and sciatic nerve irritation.
How Our Chiropractor Can Help
After an examination and thorough assessment of your condition, our chiropractor will design a treatment plan that’s personalized to meet your recovery and overall wellness goals. Spinal adjustments are generally recommended to re-align spinal structures in the lower back, improve function, and relieve compression on nerves. In addition, our chiropractor will advise corrective exercises to improve muscle strength in the legs and lower back to alleviate your symptoms and improve your range of motion. We can teach you proper ergonomic measures to avoid compression of the sciatic nerve and help avoid discomfort long term.
Visit Us for Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief from Our Chiropractor in Long Beach, CA
Dr. Stoddard at Genesis Chiropractic Functional Health uses his extensive knowledge of chiropractic techniques to help patients in Long Beach and surrounding areas achieve greater comfort and improved health. We treat many conditions, including low back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, scoliosis, and other health-related issues. Contact Genesis Chiropractic Functional Health today at (562) 267-9119 for an appointment or to learn more about how we effectively treat sciatica.
Playing sports can be very enjoyable, and a great way to stay in shape. Unfortunately, sports can also lead to injuries. If you’re experiencing an injury from playing sports, and you’re in the Long Beach CA, area, working with our chiropractor at GENESIS Chiropractic Functional Health can help you heal and get back to all the activities you love.
Treat a Sports Injury the Right Way
No matter what kind of sports injury you have, getting it treated is very important. Not only do you want to get back to playing the sports you enjoy, but you also don’t want to be in pain or have trouble healing. Untreated injuries can still heal, but they may not heal up as well as they should. They can also push bones and joints out of alignment, which can lead to additional injuries, chronic pain, and more problems in the future. Proper treatment helps to reduce that risk.
Work with Our Chiropractor for the Help You Need
Our chiropractor can help you get the treatment you need to heal from a sports injury and feel better about your future options for getting back to playing and enjoying life. No matter the type of sport you like, injuries can sideline you if you’re not getting the help and support you need to take care of them. By working with our chiropractor, you’ll be able to discover the source of the problem, get it treated properly, and look for ways to reduce the risk of the same kind of injury in the future.
Get Support and Ongoing Care to Stay Healthy
A lot of people who play sports see their chiropractor regularly, even when they’re not dealing with a sports injury. That helps keep joints aligned properly and the spine straight and healthy. It’s also a good idea to continue working with our chiropractor, even after an injury has healed. You can reduce further risk that way and catch problems that are developing before they get worse.
Contact Us for Sports Injury Treatment Today
If you’re in the Long Beach CA, area and have a sports injury, contact us at GENESIS Chiropractic Functional Health today. Our chiropractor and team are here to help and support you, so you can heal from your injury and go back to being active again. Playing sports can be very enjoyable, and we want to help you be healthy enough to play them for a long time. Call us at (562) 267-9119 today.